Join us at Facebook!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Too Busy to Be Present? 9 SELF Training Rituals to Practice Throughout the Day

SELF Training for tapping in to the power of the present.
S= Sati (mindfulness)
E= Empowerment
L=Lifestyle
F=Facilitator

I developed SELF training exercises to help my students become aware of how many opportunities we actually have everyday to practice “being in the moment” . I am sure most of you can list some of the benefits of being present, meditation or mindfulness practice there is simply always the question, how do I fit it in?

I would like to remind you that it is not simply putting aside a time to mediate every day but really how to tap into the power of the present moment many times throughout your day. A regular seated meditation practice is powerful but the SELF exercises I am going to suggest are to give you more opportunities to reconnect to your inner guru in all you do.

By adding SELF exercises to your regular daily routine you will see how easy it can be.
Like most of you I live a busy life. I wake up at 7am and go about a busy day until my head hits the pillow between 10 and 11pm. I have found that giving priority to being present helps me do everything better. Here are some things I do.

1. Morning Ritual. While I am still in bed, I take a couple of minutes before I get up to think about my dreams and see if I felt there were any messages in them and intend my day. I picture the outcome I want in any particular event I have planned.

2. Teeth Brushing Ritual. As I take my first glance in the mirror I take some extra time to look at myself in the eyes and remind myself, “you have everything you need for a great day”

3. Meditation Ritual. I then get up while still sleepy and go to the couch and sit for my morning meditation. I meditate for about 30 minutes.

4. Breakfast Ritual. Before I choose what to have for breakfast I ask myself, “What would be the best breakfast for me to have today so that I feel full of energy?"

5. Shower Ritual. Either while in the shower while washing my body or afterwards, while applying lotion, I adore my body. I thank it, I massage it, and if I feel any aches, pains or soreness, I send a loving message of well-being. Sometimes simply saying, you will heal soon, you know what to do.

6. Commuting Ritual. I drive a vespa from New Jersey to New York City everyday. I started my safety ritual when I first began driving and I was nervous. As I prepared to get on my bike I would intend a safe drive. I would simply see myself already at my destination on time and safe with a smile on my face. I do this especially if I feel I am running late and have the urge to speed.

Once I am on the road I use it as my time to either repeat a mantra, affirmations or simply fill my lungs with fresh air.

7. Starbucks Ritual. During the day I often feel like I need a little break from what I am doing. If I am in the city I usually find a Starbucks or out door spot where I can sit comfortably and I put on my headphones. I simply take a minute to listen to a song. I close my eyes and withdraw all of my attention from the city, from my work or anything that has my attention swirling and focus simply on hearing the lyrics and the music. Usually this works quite well to bring me back to my heart.

8. Evening Ritual. Just about every evening I am at the gym. Working out is one of my favorite ways to bring myself to the present moment. Whether I am teaching or simply working out, it is a great way for me to be in my body and simply recharge it with love, oxygen and light.

9. Bedtime Ritual. One of my favorite times of the day is simply lying in bed and reflecting on the day. I let my mind wander looking back at what happened and what I loved about it. I end my day with a simple moment of gratitude. As I drift off to sleep I ask for answers to any questions I have and ask that my dreams reveal the best solution for me and that I will easily remember them in the morning.

www.intent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment